MM in Computer Music Composition

If you have an undergraduate degree in music composition — or music technology with a substantial music composition component — we encourage you to apply for our Master of Music degree in Computer Music Composition. Other undergraduate degrees are also possible, as long as you have significant composition experience. Extensive computer music training is not a prerequisite, but you must be able to demonstrate practical musical skills and composition experience of a sort that you would acquire while pursuing an undergraduate degree in a school or department of music.

Doctoral student Felip-Tovar Henao, Prof. Wang, Prof. Gibson

Our master’s degree provides rigorous training in both musical and technical areas, with a focus on electronic music composition and performance. Students work in the state-of-the-art Center for Electronic and Computer Music facilities and have access to campus-wide high technology, as well as the extraordinary talents of approximately 1500 performance students.

You may work toward the MM:CMC degree concurrently or consecutively with the MM degree in Music Composition, sharing the same core courses.

To apply, submit a portfolio of electronic and acoustic compositions (with scores, recordings/videos) and a complete list of compositions with dates. Please consult the pre-screen requirements and the  general application procedure on the Jacobs School Admissions and Financial Aid website, as well as the degree requirements. The application deadline is December 1.

Please note that the focus in our composition department is on contemporary art music (often described as “new music”). If you are interested in writing for film, television, or games, you should apply to our MM in Music Scoring for Visual Media. At this time, we do not offer a degree or minor in EDM or other popular music genres.

If you have specific questions about the degree, your qualifications, or the Center for Electronic and Computer Music in general, please contact Prof. John Gibson at

Minors for Composition Majors

If you are an undergraduate composition major, you can add a minor in electronic music. Please see the details in the Jacobs School of Music Bulletin (under “Minor in Electronic Music”).

If you are a doctoral composition major, you can use electronic music as one of your doctoral minors. Please see the details in the Jacobs School of Music Bulletin (under “Minor in Electronic Music”).